Tips for Reducing Stretch Marks
Techniques for reducing stretch marks that can save your skin’s appearance.
Stretch marks are a cosmetic affliction mainly of us will encounter at some point in our lives. They are the normal part of the puberty for most girls and guys. Stretch marks can be caused by the growth spurt in adolescence. Teenagers can get stretch marks over their thighs, legs, bottoms, waist and arms during their growth phase.
According to Sam Dhatt, stretch marks happen when the tissue under the skin is pulled by rapid growth or stretching. Many women get them during pregnancy. There are three layers of skin i.e. epidermis, dermis and the subcutaneous layer. Stretch marks occur in the dermis, the resilient middle layer that helps the skin retain its shape. When the dermis is constantly stretched over time, the skin becomes less elastic and the small connective fibers within it break.
Stretch marks are also known as “striae gravidarum”, which are caused by excessive stretching of the skin and a family history of stretch marks is the main cause of it. Other possible causes of stretch marks are hormonal imbalances, obesity and lack of nutritients in diet, etc. There are two varieties of stretch marks i.e. red and white. Older, mature stretch marks are commonly white.
Sam Dhatt’s tips for reducing stretch marks:
- Take supplements in addition to your diet that contain vitamins A, E and C
- Try to eat food that contains essential fatty acids, which help make cell walls stronger. Essential fatty acids can be found in many vegetables, vegetable oils and fish oils.
- The best way to get rid of stretch marks is to apply moisturizing creams that contain peptides to build the dermis. Retin-A is also effective in decreasing stretch marks.
- Drink loads of water, as it helps in enhancing the elasticity of skin, thereby preventing the appearance of stretch marks. It serves as an extremely beneficial stretch marks home remedy treatment.
- Eat a well-balanced nutrient rich diet, so that you do not put on extra weight. It is vital to pay attention to the food you are consuming, as weight gain can become a cause for the occurrence of stretch marks.