Natural Beauty Recipe: Homemade Facial Toning Lotion
Learn how to prepare homemade facial toning lotion using sage leaves, vodka, benzoin and water.
Want squeaky clean skin? Use facial toning lotion before applying any moisturizer. This recipe for homemade facial toning lotion contains sage to tighten the skin, close the pores and soothe any spots of inflammation.
- Dried or fresh sage
- Tincture of benzoin
- Distilled water
Tools and Materials:
- Clean storage jar
- Fine sieve or coffee filter
- Place 3 tablespoons of dried sage (or 6 tablespoons of the fresh herb) into a clean jar. Pour in it 150ml of vodka. Tightly screw on the lid and leave it to stand.
- After a week strain off and discard the sage leaves. Replace it with the same new measure of the herb and leave it to stand for another week.
- Strain the liquid into a clean bottle using a fine sieve or a coffee filter.
- Add 4 to 5 drops of tincture of benzoin (available from chemists). Screw on the lid and shake well.
This initial preparation already produces a strong herbal smell. If you want a stronger lotion, repeat the procedure. You can also strengthen the mixture by adding stronger herbs such as yarrow, or 2 to 3 tablespoons of witch hazel.
To make a milder facial toning lotion, dilute the original mixture with distilled water or use a less astringent herb such as chamomile instead of sage.
When choosing beauty products, always go for those that are purely made of natural ingredients. You can shop through a wide selection of all natural beauty products at Abe’s Market.