How to Exfoliate Your Skin
Basic techniques for exfoliating your skin that can save your skin’s appearance.
Exfoliating your skin is one of the best ways to give yourself a fresher look. By removing the top layer of dead epidermis cells, you can improve your complexion and make your skin appear smoother and less wrinkled.
Skin exfoliation is a very important component of skin care. Just washing your face isn’t enough for getting rid of dead cells. When you exfoliate, you are sloughing off dead skin and exposing the fresher, brighter, younger cells beneath. Hence, you should exfoliate regularly to have skin looking young and radiant.
You can exfoliate your skin in various ways, including using the following Sam Dhatt recommendations:
- You can easily remove dead skin cells from your face by using a facial scrub once a week. Thicker skin can use a scrub a couple of times per week but one should be cautious not to scrub to the point of irritation, which could lead to unwanted pigmentation.
- AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acid) is a fruit acid and is water-soluble. A moisturizer containing AHA can be used every day, minus irritation.
- BHA (Beta Hydroxy Acid) is a salicylic acid and is oil-soluble, which can be used for skin exfoliation and it is recommended for oily skin types
- You can also use a peel-off face mask. This can be used once a week.
- Warning: You should not use a granular scrub if you suffering from pus-filled pimples, as this form of exfoliating will cause irritation and could lead to infection.
Tips for the step by step process of how to exfoliate your facial skin at home:
- Moisten your face with water before you start your skin exfoliation
- When your skin is completely wet take a little bit of the exfoliating scrub and gently rub it on to your already cleansed face in a circular motion for approximately one minute. Rinse and apply a moisturizer suited for your skin type.
- Apply a moisturizer containing AHA or BHA, depending on your skin type, and apply it to the face, avoiding the eye area. Usually this type of cream is applied in the evening.
- Rinse with warm water, until you cannot feel the grains
- Pat gently with a towel
Dermatologists, through or chemical peels and/or microdermabrasion, can achieve deeper exfoliation.
Sam Dhatt also recommends:
- Applying moisturizer to your body after bathing before it is fully dry. Use a body moisturizer at least once every day.
- Only choose the form of exfoliation which suits your skin type, otherwise it will irritate your skin
- Your skin may tingle after using alpha or beta hydroxy acids. This is normal and should go away after a few minutes. With continual use, the tingliness will go away once the skin is used to the AHA and BHA.
- Do not over exfoliate, which can lead to skin irritation