Hibiscus for Hair Care
An easy inexpensive way of maintaining healthy hair.
Hibiscus also known as rosemallow has many natural properties which have been valued through out the ages. One of its traditional uses is hair care.
The human hair is made up of approximately 85% complex protein called Keratin, the balance consists of water, lipids and melanin pigments with trace minerals like calcium, magnesium, copper, iron. phosphorus, silicone etc. There is nothing as attractive as a thick head of hair which glows with natural health. To maintain this we need good hair care regimen that involves the following
- Hair cleansing which involves removal of accumulated sebum, scalp debris and residues of hair grooming preparations. This should ideally be done on alternate days.
- Hair conditioning which involves making good the natural deficiencies of sebum and repairing the hair cuticle – this makes hair smooth, soft, shining and elastic.
- Scalp stimulation which involves in providing nutrients and hormonal support to hair by massaging the scalp and nourishing it.
The common problem faced is hair loss which can occur due to one or more of the following reasons
- Harsh shampoos which have a strong chemical base
- Pollutants in the air
- Physical weakness and lack of proper nutrition
- Hair colours, perming and straightening lotions
A very simple traditional recipe is to cook some flowers of red hibiscus in coconut or sesame oil and let it cool. This oil is then massaged into the hair. Red Hibiscus or Jabakusum as it is known in Hindi, is known for its hair growth related properties. Care should be taken to rinse the oil out with very mild shampoo otherwise it will nullify the good effect of the oil.
In case some people do not like to oil their hair, the hibiscus flowers can be made into pulp in the mixer and applied to the hair for thirty minutes and then rinsed out with water.
The benefits of Hibiscus treatment
- Prevents hair loss
- Enhances growth of hair
- Discourages split ends
- Thickens hair
- Prevents premature greying of hair