Going Natural But Afraid of The Big Chop?
Going natural can be rewarding, liberating, and beautiful, but if you are afraid of cutting the relaxer off your hair your hair can look unruly and can be hard to manage. So if that’s the case here are some tips for you.
1. Deep Condition- Because you have decided to go natural does not mean you no longer have to moisturize you hair. African-American hair is naturally dry so if you don’t moisturize it will fall out and then you won’t have to worry about the big chop or hair at all for that matter.
2. Blow out- When you are first letting your hair go naturally it looks bad because you still have relaxer on the ends and your roots tend to be curly/ kinky. So blow it out and style it until you are ready.
3. Flat iron- I do not recommend for you to flat iron you hair everyday because it can ultimately damage and break your hair off. When flat ironing your hair I recommend you use some kind of heat protectant for your hair. I like to use keracare curling wax it provides your hair with moisture while protecting it from the heat and it helps your hair last longer preventing you from flat ironing it as often.
4. Braids- You can get you natural hair braided or add extensions. It keeps you from putting heat in your hair and it looks neat. I recommend that you continue to moisturize your scalp while your hair is braided because your hair can dry out and become damaged.
5. Wigs- If you just don’t have the time to get braids or straighten your hair this is the best substitute or if you want to test out different natural hair styles this is the perfect way to do it.
Good luck to you because there’s nothing better than you just being you and letting it all hang out!